Friday 11 September 2015

The Summer of Chasing Mermaids - Sarah Ockler

I’m actually ashamed of myself for how long it has taken me to review this beautiful book. I had been looking forward to reading it for months, so I started as soon as it arrived. I’ve just been in a bit of a reviewing slump recently, for which I apologise and I hope to pick up the pace now I’m feeling better.


Elyse d’Abreau was going to be a world famous singer with her sister, up until she lost her voice in a boating accident. With her dreams crushed, she leaves her family in Tobago for Atargatis Cove, Oregon, a small town named after the first ever mermaid.

Here in Oregon, Elyse meets Christian Kane - he’s a well-known player, and she knows she should stay away from him. But he’s honest with her, and doesn’t treat her like she’s fragile - like everyone else - just because she can’t speak. 

Elyse also bonds with Christian’s younger brother, Sebastian; they hunt for mermaids, and he convinces himself that she is one, too, and Elyse helps him fulfil his dream to dress up as a mermaid. Meanwhile, she helps Christian prepare his boat for the Pirate Regatta, and finds herself falling for him in the process.

This book wasn’t what I expected at all, but I really enjoyed it. I loved Elyse and her story touched me. Sarah writes beautifully and I can’t wait to read more of her books. ★★★★★

Follow me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...