Monday 2 March 2015

Geek Girl: All That Glitters - Holly Smale

Warning: I don't advise reading this review if you haven't read the other books in the series, particularly Picture Perfect, because this review mentions a few spoilers from it and I don't want to ruin it for anybody!

I was so happy that Netgalley approved me to review this book. I downloaded it onto my kindle the day before its release, giving me crucial extra hours to finish the book in time for Saturday. And I did it!

I finished it on Friday night, and as always, I regretted getting through it so fast, because now I have to wait - I don't even know how long I've got to wait - for the next one. However, I do have Geek Drama to read, which I haven't decided whether to read straight away, or save as a 'snack' between the books and read later on. Most likely, I'll read it in March or April, because I can't bear to leave it unread on my shelf. 

But, I digress.

All That Glitters (Geek Girl, #4)

All That Glitters pretty much continues where Picture Perfect left off. Harriet has not long been back from New York, and is ready to start sixth form as a late arrival. With Nat at college, she only has Toby, her stalker, for a friend, so she makes Harriet-style plans and lists of how to make friends. And after a shaky start, it seems to work.

Harriet then has to miss school for a modelling job in Morocco. This time, Annabel decides to accompany her, leaving behind Richard and Tabitha, my favourite comedy duo! Modelling is hard when all Harriet can think about is her ex-boyfriend and ex-model Nick Hidaka. Their break-up destroyed Harriet, and I must admit a little a little part of me died too, because they were such a lovely couple. Right from the very first book, I have been emotionally invested in the life of Harriet Manners.

Of course, I love Wilbur, with a bur not an iam, and I miss him terribly. As he is no longer Harriet's agent, we don't see much of him anymore, so I'd love a Wilbur revival sometime soon, but really I'm just grateful he's still in the books, even if it was just for a little while.

You would be able to tell how much I loved this book simply by looking at the amount of highlights I made on my kindle, and will transfer to the paperback when it's released, and how many memorable quotes I've written in my reading journal to make sure I don't forget them.

I absolutely loved this book, and I feel like the series keeps getting better and better. Personally, my favourite is still Picture Perfect, because I love New York City, so unless Harriet gets a modelling contract with Disney, I can't see my favourite book changing. I might have to write some fanfiction to satisfy my love of Disney and Geek Girl.

YALC, July 2014. I look terrible but I was so happy!
I'm really happy with Harriet's character development through the books. She is longer, at least not all of the time, the girl that will hide under the table at the Clothes Show Live. She is confident, brave, and trying to make more friends. Sadly, she wants to find someone exactly like her, and I don't think there's anyone like Harriet Manners. Honestly, we are so alike. For example, at YALC last year, I sat in a corner and didn't talk, but at UKYA Extravaganza this weekend, I made friends! Friends I hope to stay in contact with. And I love how Harriet knows a lot of facts; I feel like I've learnt more reading Holly's four books than I have in three years at university!

Meeting Holly Smale, February 2015 (wearing the glasses I won!)
But as the book nears a close, Harriet must choose who her real friends are, she needs to realise that 'all that glitters is not gold'. I thought the message of this book was so important; it is better to have a few friends that truly care about you, than tonnes of friends who wouldn't care about you when it matters. I've experience that, and it's lovely that younger readers will know this before they get hurt.

I don't actually regret a single second I spent reading this book, despite the wait for the next one. I took it everywhere, and it cheered me up when I'd had a bad shift at work, or had no friends in my university lecture, and it was just such a brilliant book that I know the next one will be worth the long wait. 

On a personal note, meeting Holly again this weekend was the icing on top of the cake that was an absolutely brilliant day. I had such a brilliant time at the UKYA Extravaganza, and  I was first in the queue to meet Holly afterwards. Also, I was lucky enough to win the glasses I'm wearing in the most recent picture, and I absolutely adore them! This week started really badly for me, but it ended really well. And that is thanks to all my bookish friends, authors and connections such as Netgalley! 

I can also confirm that Holly is still one of the nicest people I have ever met, and I think she will probably always be one of my favourite authors. I'll definitely be reading Geek Girl to my daughter, if I have one.

Verdict: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...