Wednesday 28 January 2015

Cruel Summer - James Dawson

I simply had to review this, as its one of the best books I've ever read.


It sounds weird, but this book reminded me of An Inspector Calls, a book I had to read for my English Literature GCSE. Anyone can contribute to causing someone's suicide, even if they don't realise it themselves. And Janey's suicide left a mark on all of them in return, and effectively ruined the friendship they all once shared. 
There are many things I love about this book; the diversity of the characters, the screenplay or tv drama structure with the suspense looming, and it's mystery cliffhangers at the end of chapters. It felt like there should be an interval or advert break in there somewhere, I felt weird not taking a break from the book when something chilling happened! Finally, I loved that each character had their own side of the story to tell. I've said before that I love novels told from multiple perspectives, and this book is a shining example. I like knowing how each character feels, especially when it's intended to have come from them. The reader glimpses into each character's life as opposed to Ryan telling the whole story by himself. This worked really well, as I allowed secrets to be revealed that Ryan couldn't have possibly known, which made the story more realistic and engaging. 
James certainly knows how to keep his readers guessing, and I was hooked from start to finish, even as my heart was breaking towards the end.

Verdict: 5/5 :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...