Sunday 25 January 2015

Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell

Fangirl became my favourite book of all time the moment I put it down.


Fangirl tells the story of Cath, an introverted university student who writes fanfiction, sometimes alone, and sometimes with her twin sister, Wren. They were inseparable, until they went to university and Wren wanted different things. Cath rooms with Reagan, and through her, she meets Levi. While writing fanfiction is easy, writing assignments you don't care for isn't as easy.
I really connected with Cath, both as a fellow fangirl and a fellow university student. The book brought back to me how I was feeling when I lived in university accommodation; The only different in our experiences being what while Cath threw herself into writing fan fiction in order to cope with her anxiety, I simply threw myself into reading and sleeping. I really struggled to concentrate on things I simply had no care for, and wished I'd chosen another path for myself. Rainbow assured me I wasn't alone in feeling this way, by giving me Cath.
We are alike in other ways, too. The way she helps Levi with his issues with exams is something I have done for my own friends, and the way in which she made friends with those near to her is something I can relate to. Neither of us actively went out in search of friendship, as the comfort of one's own room is too safe to resist.
I particularly loved the extracts of the Simon Snow books, and Cath's fan fiction of them. It made the story much more real to see what Cath was actually doing, rather than imagining what her writing would have been like. I'm so excited that Rainbow is actually writing a Simon Snow book because of the success of Fangirl!
I love how this story is essentially Cath learning to b herself outside of being a twin, while all the time not forgetting what is important to her: family. Her family are so wonderful, and so well-written, that I love them myself.

Verdict: 5/5 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...