Monday 9 March 2015

The Year of the Rat - Clare Furniss



I actually read this book last July, when my auntie - @blondiecamps - sent me a signed copy in the post. This is one of my favourite books, which is why I am posting a review of it on my blog, in addition to reviews of those I've recently read.

The Year of the Rat

Pearl loses her mother at fifteen years of age. She died in childbirth, but her baby sister, Rose, survived - the Rat. Pearl has no affection towards the Rat, and blames her for everything that's gone wrong in her life since she was born - the Rat took away their mother, the Rat ruined Pearl's relationship with her stepfather, the Rat's father.

But Pearl's mother is not truly gone, and still visits Pearl to check up on her. The book's events play out over one entire year, as Pearl must come to terms with her mother's death, but this is difficult for her when the Rat serves as a living reminder of what happened. Will she ever grow to love her little sister, Rose?

I really enjoyed this book, it was different from anything I'd read, and it was interesting to explore how people cope living with survivors when someone has died. I can't wait for Clare's next book! And it was so lovely to finally meet Clare at the UKYA Extravaganza, as I finally got to thank her in person for my signed copy!


Verdict: 5/5 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...