Monday 18 May 2015

Prisoner of Night and Fog - Anne Blankman

I received the sequel to this, Conspiracy of Blood and Smoke, from bookbridgr last month, and decided to read this first. Even though I know a lot about Nazi Germany, and dipping into the sequel first wouldn't confuse me, I still wanted to read them in their intended order. I am a big fan of historical fiction, my favourite being The Book Thief, so I was extremely excited to start reading this series!



Munich, 1931. Seventeen-year-old Gretchen Müller's 'Uncle Dolf' is running for presidency in the Reichstag. But Gretchen suspects her Uncle Dolf is not as warm and loving to everyone else as he is to her...especially not the Jews.

When Gretchen's father, Klaus, died protecting Hitler at the Munich putsch, he became a martyr and a saint to the Nazi party. Gretchen is Hitler's sunshine, along with her best friend, Eva Braun (yes, the very same one). But when Gretchen falls for a Jewish reporter, Daniel Cohen, she doesn't think twice about what her Uncle Dolf will think.

I really enjoyed this book, as it took me straight back to GCSE History five years ago, and I knew all the events and terminology without having to look anything up. But for someone who doesn't know a lot about Nazi Germany, the Author's note at the end explains everything you might not have known. It's a brilliant read that I would definitely recommend!

Verdict: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...