Tuesday 26 May 2015

The Knife of Never Letting Go - Patrick Ness

My parents bought me the trilogy last Christmas, and I've finally got enough time on my hands - as a graduate working part-time - to get properly stuck into the story. Whilst I was at university, my friend was always telling me to read these books, so now I'm glad I finally have enough time!


Todd Hewitt is the last boy in Prentisstown, and he is a month away from manhood. He doesn't know what this entails - no one will tell him. Even though he can hear everyone's thoughts - from a Noise germ the settlers caught when they came to New World - and they can hear his, he still can't find out the truth from them. 

This Noise germ only infected the men, and all the women have died. So not only is Todd the last boy, he's the youngest living person in Prentisstown, with no idea what happens when he crosses over into manhood. His guardians, Ben and Cillian, want to tell him, but can't because the townsfolk would hear it in their Noise and punish them.

But when Todd and his talking dog, Manchee - yes, animals have Noise too - stumble across a silent female who is alive and well, he realises he probably doesn't know the truth about a lot of things - and he runs for his life. But for reasons he obviously doesn't know, the men of Prentisstown come after him.

So as Todd, Manchee and Viola try to find Haven, the closest to a city there is in New World, they are outnumbered by an army the size of Prentisstown following them, destroying settlements as they go and determined to catch the last boy in their town and make him a man.

I really enjoyed this book, even though I don't usually read books this long. It took me a while to read it, but it was so brilliantly written and there were times when I couldn't bring myself to put it down. It probably goes without saying that Manchee was my favourite character, he was such a wonderful dog and his dialogue added a lot to the book for me. I can't wait to read the next book to see what happens.

Verdict: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...