Tuesday 21 July 2015

Lorali - Laura Dockrill

This took me so long to read, what with my new job and the events of YALC (which I am writing a blog post on, it is coming!!) but I absolutely loved it.


Lorali is a mermaid princess, who has been transformed into a human. She meets Rory, a ‘Walker’ to her people, on a beach in Hastings, and he takes her in. Their first encounter had me in stitches, and I loved Lorali’s innocence. The story is told alternatively from Lorali and Rory’s perspective.

Most authors would just tell the story from their perspectives wouldn’t they? Not Laura. I found it slightly confusing at first, but as I got into the book I realised what a brilliant idea it was.

A third perspective, the sea, sees all and fills in the blanks that Rory and Lorali’s stories cannot possibly tell you. For example, the sea tells us about Lorali’s family’s desperate search for her, both in the sea and on land. 

She also explains how mermaids came to be, which I found fascinating, especially Lorali and her family’s individual stories. Personally, I think the sea’s narrative made this book as good as it is. It reminded me of Death narrating The Book Thief, making sure the reader is as well-informed as possible.

This book has romance, action, humour, and PIRATES. What more could you want? Nothing? How about some...FEMINISM? Lorali’s mother is the Queen of the Whirl, and there has only ever been female leaders under the sea - but that doesn’t mean that men can’t rule.

Although my stunted reading schedule meant I didn’t get into it as quickly as I’d hoped, once I got to halfway through the book I was HOOKED - Laura has done such a good job with this book, and I hope many of you will pick up this brilliant book.

My copy of this book, is signed and battered from the love I gave it reading. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did - buy this book! ★★★★★

Follow me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...