Wednesday 17 June 2015

Lobsters - Tom Ellen & Lucy Ivison

Slowly, I'm getting through the books I'm going to be taking to YALC, and it just so happens that both of these authors are going to be there!


This novel is told from two perspectives, something I absolutely love. Sam and Hannah are going to university in September, and only have the holidays to find their lobster. Anyone who has watched Friends knows that a lobster is someone's soulmate, and I'm hoping that it is actually a Friends reference. I must admit, the title is actually why I bought the book.

Sam and Hannah meet in a bathroom at a party, and as they bond over hot Ribena, they know they are each other's lobster. But they don't exchange names or numbers, so Sam is known to Hannah's friends as 'Toilet Boy' and Sam refers to Hannah as 'Ribena Girl'.

Neither of them have had sex, and worry about going to university as virgins. Most of their friends have done it, although Hannah's friend Tilly is - hilariously - in 'hymen limbo' which I absolutely cried laughing at. Finding their lobster and losing their virginity are very important to both of them.

Although they didn't arrange to meet up again, fate steps in the way in the form of Woodland Festival in Devon. I love books where fate steps in, as Serendipity is one of my favourite films. I wouldn't say it's the teenage version of it or anything, but just that I really enjoyed the element of fate in the book.

I really enjoyed this book, it had me laughing so hard in places, and worrying in places too. The ending completely took me by surprise, but it ended on a very funny note and I loved that. Sam and Hannah were both incredibly likeable, and I loved reading both of their stories. ★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...