Friday 13 February 2015

Geek Girl - Holly Smale

I'm finally getting around to reviewing the first instalment of one of my favourite YA series, and just in time for the fourth to be realised. All That Glitters will be available on kindle and in hardback from the 26th February, and I can't wait! I wish I'd booked the day off work to binge-read it.

(Note: that orange nose is, indeed, Olaf from Frozen. my bedsheets are cooler than me *sniff*)

When Harriet Manners visits the Clothes Show Live (in Bimringham!) on a school trip, she doesn't expect to be discovered by a modelling agency. Harriet, a model? She's far more comfortable being...a geek. A clumsy, well-read nerd. It's actually her best friend, Nat, who has always dreamt of being a model. Uh-oh!
Harriet knows something about everything, and the facts scattered throughout this book are fascinating! I should be ashamed of this, but I actually highlighted my favourite quotes in my copies of the Geek Girl books, so that I could find them easier. And if that wasn't bad enough, I cracked the spine a little as well, which I never do. Are these signs of a well-loved book or bookish sins?
All the characters in this book are absolutely fabulous. There's Toby, Harriet's stalker. Alexa (grr), who I actually don't like, obviously, but is still well written - she's Harriet's arch enemy. Then there's the countless models Harriet meets in her new life as a model, but it's been a while since I read it so I couldn't tell you all of them. Her step-Mom, Annabel, and her amazing Dad - funniest parent I've ever read in a book! Harriet's love interest, Nick, although my thoughts on him changed throughout the book. And last but certainly not least is my favourite character of all, Wilbur (that's with a bur and not an iam!) who is the king of pet names and hands down my favourite book character of all time.
Harriet is an incredibly relatable character, who hides from her problems under tablets, and I loved following her journey. I'll be posting my review of Geek Girl: Model Misfit in a couple of days. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...