Wednesday 4 February 2015

Solitaire - Alice Oseman

This book is definitely in my all-time favourites list, and it's obvious why. I also had it in my ten books of 2014, which I posted to my Instagram account. 


Despite being twenty years old when I read this, I really connected with sixteen year old Tori Spring. I had been to Sixth form, I didn't particularly enjoy it, and I would have treated Solitaire as a welcome distraction from exam revision and other unpleasant things...at first.
Tori is the first character I've encountered who encapsulates my teenage years. She is this angsty, cynical, sarcastic person who, unlike so many, sees the world for what it really is.
I remember being at YALC at London Film and Comic Con last July, and seeing the book for the very first time. I overheard a lot of people talking about it, and a few even got copies a month ahead of the release. I wasn't so lucky, but I knew as soon as it came out I was going to buy it, and that's what I did. I finished it within a couple of days, which is something I only do if I'm really enjoying the book. I can definitely see myself re-reading it in the future, which is again something I don't normally do.
The tagline is this is not a love story, and it definitely isn't. I've seen reviews saying they have a 'ship', but as for me, I don't see Tori as someone who would care much for boys and dating. I could be wrong, but that's how I felt, and I don't blame her for it. I read so many love stories that it was refreshing to have a story that was a little bit deeper... It is essentially a voice for anxious, confused teens who don't belong in the inner-circle of school, and from the ukyachat's that I've been involved in recently, it seems Tori speaks for much of the YA community.
I loved the influence of Tumblr in the book. For something that, though not new, is not recognised as a popular social media site by parents and teachers, it was refreshing to have it included. This made it obvious to me, before I'd looked her up, that Alice was around the reader's age, as I don't think an older writer would have included it. Tumblr was my life when I was Tori's age, and even now when I casually check it now and again, I'm following Tori's page and I relate to a lot of her posts. I absolutely love how she has her own Tumblr, separate to Alice's, as it added a new dimension to my reading experience. 
On a personal note, I adore Alice, and I fangirl each and every time she replies to me. The fact that someone one year younger than me has written such an amazing book, it has truly give me the courage to pursue my dreams. Solitaire is the book that best represents my teenage years, and for that, it will always be a part of me, as a book that changed my life. Because I realised reading this book, that not everyone loved high school and sixth form, and I wasn't alone.

Verdict: 5/5 <3

Instagram: asdfghjklize
Tumblr: getme0utmymind

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...