Sunday 5 April 2015

My Heart and Other Black Holes - Jasmine Warga

I was really excited to read this book, as I'd seen a lot of good things about it. I bought it the very first time I saw it in Waterstones and now I'm confused. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. I think I may have built it up too much in my head first, and let expectations get the better of me.

My Heart and Other Black Holes

Aysel and Roman meet on a website called Smooth Passages, and make a deal to become each other's 'suicide partner'. This is when people pair up, to make sure they both go through with their suicide rather than giving up at the last minute. 

Aysel and Roman are completely different people, and convincing people that they're friends and not something sinister is difficult - a physics nerd and a basketball player hanging out together is a bit too suspicious.

Roman will only agree to be Aysel's suicide partner if they can do it on April 7th. This leaves them with exactly one month to do what they have to do before their deadly deadline. But as the date draws closer, Aysel starts having second thoughts. Will she back out of their deal?

I really struggled to get through this book, but towards the end I began to like where the story was headed. If it had got to that point sooner, I think I would have enjoyed it more. I'm glad I carried on, because I hate giving up on a book, but this wasn't really for me. It was still a good book, and I don't doubt many others will love it, but I just wished the story had gone a little differently.

Verdict: 3/5

P.S. I will be taking part in the #readukya readathon from tomorrow until next Sunday. I have five books in my to-read pile that I've selected, but I'm not sure I'll get through all of them. Reviews of all the books will be put up as and when I finish the books, and to see how I'm doing, head over to my twitter and instagram accounts. Thank you for reading!

Instagram: instagram.com/asdfghjklize/
Twitter: twitter.com/t4ngled_
Goodreads: www.goodreads.com/lizebronwen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...