Wednesday 29 April 2015

Starring Kitty - Keris Stainton

I only bought this the other day, and I couldn't wait to read it. I absorbed it in two days straight. It was a lovely, short read that I could have read in a day, had I been free that day. I love books like that.

Starring Kitty (Reel Friends, #1)

Kitty is keeping a lot of secrets. When Hannah is complaining about how she never sees her mom, Kitty keeps quiet about how everyone at home is struggling with her mom's illness. When Sunny complains that her parents won't let her have a boyfriend, Kitty doesn't mention that she likes someone...a girl. Even though Hannah and Sunny are her best friends, she can't find the words to tell them. Especially about Dylan, the girl she's seeing. Kitty distracts herself from her problems by taking part in a local film competition with her friends.

Kitty doesn't know a lot about multiple sclerosis - her parents won't talk much about it and she was told not to google it - but she knows enough. Her little sister Grace, however, doesn't really understand what's happening. My heart broke for both of them.

In the midst of her mom's illness, Kitty is struggling with her sexuality. But she isn't worried what her friends and family will do - her older brother, Tom, is gay - it's the bullies at school she's worried about. What will they do? And I think that's what got to me the most, that someone can make your life so miserable that you can't even be yourself.

I really enjoyed this book, the only way I can describe it is that it's a very special story. I love how Keris writes, and I love her as a person - I can't wait to start her writing course in May! I'll definitely be getting Spotlight on Sunny as soon as I see it.

Verdict: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...